Analysis of the female image in Chinese Proverbs: A Cognitive Study
Keywords:Chinese proverb, female proverb, female image, metaphor, metonymy.
AbstractThe present work aims to highlight the female image in the Chinese proverbs, from the cognitive perspective based on the theory of metaphor and metonymy of Lakoff and Johnson (1986), based on a corpus of more than two hundred examples analyzed, assessing their physical appearance, vices and virtues, status and family life, which the cultural world has created around them. The results
of the study allow the following conclusions: 1) exist great discrimination against women in proverbs,
most of them are based on the rural and agricultural environment of centuries 2) patriarchal and
androcentric ideology permeates the proverb through metaphorical and metonymic elaboration 3) the
emergence and decline of these proverb have justified the evolution of mentalities and the change of
the social framework.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Lyu Xiaoxiao
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Sinología Hispánica. China Studies Review considers all manuscripts on the strict condition that:
- The authors assign the exploitation rights (reproduction, distribution, public communication and transformation) of the work accepted for publication to the University of León on a non-exclusive basis. Authors can establish, on their own, additional agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (for example, placing it in an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), always acknowledging the initial publication. in this magazine.
- The manuscript is your own original work and does not duplicate any other previously published work, including your own previously published work.
- The manuscript is not currently under consideration or peer review, nor accepted for publication, nor in press, nor published elsewhere.
- The manuscript contains nothing that is abusive, defamatory, libellous, obscene, fraudulent, or illegal.
- Please note that Sinologia Hispanica uses Turnitin software to screen manuscripts for unoriginal material. By submitting your manuscript to Sinologia Hispanica you are agreeing to any necessary originality checks your manuscript may have to undergo during the peer-review and production processes. Any author who fails to adhere to the above conditions will be rejected.
- Authors are allowed and encouraged to electronically disseminate the pre-printed versions (version before being evaluated) and / or post-printing (version evaluated and accepted for publication) of their works before publication, since it favors their circulation and dissemination more early and with it, a possible increase in its citation and reach among the academic community.
Sinologia Hispanica is under an international license Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0. You can read more about this license in an informative version and legal text.