A Pragma-Dialectical Study of Advertising Discourse: Take Melatonin Advertisements as Case Study
Keywords:Melatonin advertisements, Pragma-Dialectics, argumentative discourse, strategic maneuvering.
The fundamental objective of advertising
discourse is to persuade target audiences to
accept and purchase the advertised product,
thus in essence, persuasiveness is crucial
characteristic of advertising discourse. Actually,
successful persuasion usually involves
argumentativeness. Drawing on the research
framework of Pragma-Dialectics, this paper
attempts to explore a pragma-dialectical
approach to advertisement discourse on the
basis of the ideal model of critical discussion.
This approach involves two interrelated parts:
argumentative reconstruction and strategic
maneuvering analysis. Taking the case of
Melatonin advertisements, the pragma-dialectical
approach can show the argumentativeness of
advertisement discourse to a great extent and
meanwhile reveals advertisers’ manipulation of
dialectical reasonableness and rhetorical
effectiveness. Therefore, the pragma-dialectical
approach can not only give a deep insight into
persuasiveness and argumentativeness of
advertising discourse, but also provides a
theoretical guidance for advertisers to skilfully
employ dialectical strategies in advertising
discourse. Consequently, such approach can
offer a new perspective for comprehensive and
systematic study of advertisement discourse.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2017 Fan Feng
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Sinología Hispánica. China Studies Review considers all manuscripts on the strict condition that:
- The authors assign the exploitation rights (reproduction, distribution, public communication and transformation) of the work accepted for publication to the University of León on a non-exclusive basis. Authors can establish, on their own, additional agreements for the non-exclusive distribution of the version of the work published in the journal (for example, placing it in an institutional repository or publishing it in a book), always acknowledging the initial publication. in this magazine.
- The manuscript is your own original work and does not duplicate any other previously published work, including your own previously published work.
- The manuscript is not currently under consideration or peer review, nor accepted for publication, nor in press, nor published elsewhere.
- The manuscript contains nothing that is abusive, defamatory, libellous, obscene, fraudulent, or illegal.
- Please note that Sinologia Hispanica uses Turnitin software to screen manuscripts for unoriginal material. By submitting your manuscript to Sinologia Hispanica you are agreeing to any necessary originality checks your manuscript may have to undergo during the peer-review and production processes. Any author who fails to adhere to the above conditions will be rejected.
- Authors are allowed and encouraged to electronically disseminate the pre-printed versions (version before being evaluated) and / or post-printing (version evaluated and accepted for publication) of their works before publication, since it favors their circulation and dissemination more early and with it, a possible increase in its citation and reach among the academic community.
Sinologia Hispanica is under an international license Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 4.0. You can read more about this license in an informative version and legal text.